Truus de Groot
SO, YOU WANNA GO TO NEW YORK?
A 1989 ANTI-TOURIST GUIDE
One day in 1989, musician and artist Truus de Groot sat down and began writing a “no frills” tourist guide for New York City, including the panhandlers, the catcallers, and the 2000+ murders a year. Around the same time, Truus established the Misanthropic Society to blow of steam. Shortly afterwards, she left the city for good.
This box set contains a reproduction of Truus' previously unpublished tourist guide manuscript So, You Wanna Go to New York?, as well as a cassette with NYC "hate songs" by Truus from around the same time. This never-before released EP reflects the reality of living around heavy crime and chaos at a very particular time in New York City.
* Manuscript by Truus de Groot, 1990.
* Cassette-EP by Truus de Groot aka De Chief, 1988.
* Postcard from Truus, 1981.
* Sticker for Misanthropic Society
* Silkscreen-printed cardboard box
Price: € 20,00 (excl. shipping)
Leonor Faber-Jonker (ed.)
GRIT. TRUUS DE GROOT IN NEW YORK CITY
GRIT. Truus de Groot in New York City is a photo book with previously unpublished photographs by musician, crackle box player, and electro pioneer Truus de Groot (a.o. Nasmak, Plus Instruments), made between 1981 and 1989 in her hometown New York City.
Truus de Groot documented her environment with a simple point-and-shoot camera: decades-old neon signs, street vendors, and graffiti tags. The book has the feel and intimacy of a private photo album, offering a glimpse into the life of Truus as a young musician in a raw but inspiring city.
* 44 glorious pages, incl. 32 never before published photographs and a full-quote interview with Truus de Groot about her life in NYC.
* Photo pages printed on Biotop; text Riso printed on RecyStar; poster & wrapper Riso printed on Muncken.
* Includes a reproduction of a NYC Plus Instruments poster.
* Includes a wrapper, Riso printed in Burgundy. Pattern from Truus' collection of vintage wrapping papers.
* Packed in a brown paper bag for added grit.
Editorial design by Lula Valletta, printing & binding by Stencilwerck, The Hague.
Price: € 27,50
Free shipping in NL
Special edition (only 25 copies!) with signed & numbered photo print of Truus' favorite neon sign by night (you find a daytime shot in the book) + Riso printed wrapper in Faux CMYK:
Order via email@example.com